Wednesday, March 12, 2008

It's alive...

It’s alive… It’s alive! The monster is alive! After a long hiatus I’ve come back. I think I owe an explanation to the 2.43 readers who may still check this blog from time to time, though: I’ve been, and I still am incredibly busy at work, but that’s my own fault – I simply like what I’m doing too much. However, even with my limited time I’ll be able to re-launch the blog in a different format, so the “too busy” excuse loses much of its validity. The simple reason why I disappeared for a time was that I burned out. What was originally a lot of fun, turned gradually into a chore. Checking for new games and indie games news became a secondary work for me, and even though I’ve had fun playing very many of the games, there were many more that offered the entertainment value of vacuuming my apartment. I got increasingly bitter in my reviews of such games, which put additional pressure on my conscience – after all, even the creator of the worst game achieved more than I did: created a game. Who was I to judge them?

I didn’t stop playing adventure games, though; I just limited myself to the better ones. And this will now be part of the new blog format. Even though I’m aware that many readers appreciated that I reviewed all games, I don’t want to burn out again. Instead, I will focus only on games I have something nice to say about, games I can recommend to others. Obviously, not everything is perfect, and I won’t shy of criticism, but I will no longer feature a game only to tear it apart. This narrow focus will allow for a second change in the format: instead of mile wide and inch deep articles where each game, no matter how good and bad, gets one paragraph, I’ll be writing more in-depth reviews. There won’t be any rating, considering that only games I like will be reviewed, and I’ll try to stay below 1000 words. The reviews will begin with older games, which I played last year but never reviewed on this blog, and I’ll be slowly working my way to the present. I’ll stick to independent adventures, since that’s when the action and true innovation lies. I hope you won’t mind the new format too much…

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you back at the keyboard! You were the first person to review my games (at DIY Games -- and a very favorable review, at that!) and I've been hard at work in my backyard sculpting a monument of mashed potatoes to your greatness ever since. It's both suitably awe inspiring and relatively free of clumps!

-Ponch

12:34 PM  
Blogger Jozef said...

Glad to be back, and I'm honored to have a mashed potato statue monument ;). I'm still considering your Kentucky hillbilly to be one of the funniest characters ever, and your Barn Runner Xmass 2 is definitely something I'm looking forward to. If nothing else, I'm glad to be back to enjoying adventure games.

9:05 PM  
Blogger SSH said...

Damn, who's going to review Princess Marian XII now?

12:59 PM  
Blogger Jozef said...

As I said, I'll review only games I enjoyed playing, and I've always enjoyed the Princess Marian series, so don't worry ;)

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home